Menu Players Managers Fans Seasons Miscellany

NUFC 1971/72-Squad

All images are copyright Piotr Jozefowicz


M Burleigh: 1-0

A Burton: 21-0

V Busby: 5-2

T Cassiddy: 6/4-3

F Clark: 44-0

DJ Craig: 40-1

DM Craig: 1-0

K Dyson: 6/1-1

R Ellison: 6-0

T Gibb: 27/3-1

T Green: 29-2

C Guthrie: 3-0

R Guthrie: 9-0

T Hibbitt: 39-3

G Hindson: 2-0

G Hodgson: 1-0

P Howard: 36-0

K Kennedy: 2-0

I McFaul: 44-0

M Macdonald: 46-26

J McNamee: 2-0

B Moncur: 22-0

I Nattrass: 24/4-1

A Reid: 12/7-0

J Smith: 2/2-1

J Tudor: 41/1-9

D Young: 8/1-0


lam McFaul (27) [45-0]

During the summer went on a five-week playing holiday to Vancouver. For the second season running missed only one competitive game.

Martin Burleigh (20) [1-0]

Made one appearance in the 4-2 home victory over Coventry.

Full backs

David Craig (27) [40 – 1]

Retained the right back slot and even managed to score a rare goal in a 3-3 draw at stoke.

Frank Clark (27) [44-0]

Missed only one game and was an almost permanent fixture at left back although he also deputised at centre-back following Moncur's injury, was made acting captain during Moncur's absence. Took some abuse from the fans on the Popular Side when things got a bit sticky in the New Year.

Ron Guthrie (27) [9-0]

Guthrie was attracting the interest of half a dozen clubs at the start of the season but he decided to stay and continue his duel with Frank Clark for the left-back slot. Part of his reasoning may have been that he would be due a Loyalty Bonus in two years’ time, was troubled by a hamstring injury.

Ray Ellison (19) [6-0]

Handed his debut during United’s early season injury crisis, unfortunately his five consecutive League appearances all resulted in defeats although he was on the winning side in the League Cup match against Halifax. He impressed everyone with his determined defending and willingness to go forward but was injured at Goodison Park. He was fit again a couple of weeks later and was anxious to return to the first team as soon as possible; but he made no further first team appearances.

Keith Kennedy (20) [1-0]

Elder brother of future star Alan who made his only ever appearance for the club in the defeat at Nottingham in April. It was a tough game for him as he was up against an old-fashioned style winger-Jimmy McIntosh-but he stuck to his job.

Centre backs

Bobby Moncur (26) [22-0]

His left leg was in plaster during the summer due to bone growth behind the shin which made contact unbearable. He made a surprise return at Tottenham but the problem flared up again in the home match against west Ham a couple of weeks later. There was some criticism that he had been rushed back but Moncur denied that this was the case. And there were some concerns that the injury could threaten his career but these were soon dispelled. Was out for three months, returning to take part at Hereford.

Pat Howard (23) [36-0]

signed from Third Division Barnsley in September to replace the injured Moncur. Although primarily a sweeper he was used as a centre-half due to Burton also being injured. Everybody within the club was hugely impressed with how well he performed. Harvey said at the end of the campaign that it has "amazed me the way he has settled in and played with such consistency".

Ollie Burton (29) [21-0]

Burton was now regarded as the first-choice partner for Moncur however he suffered a thigh injury in September. He returned a month later and (with Moncur out) developed a very effective partnership with Howard. He made his last appearance at Huddersfield in January when he was injured falling over McFaul.

John McNamee (29) [2-0]

Struggled with minor niggles before being allowed to join Blackburn in November despite Bobby Moncur's absence through injury.

Derek Craig (19) [1-0]

Made his debut in the League Cup game at Arsenal; the 0-4 reverse was his only competitive game for the club.


Terry Hibbitt (23) [39-3]

Signed from Leeds for a bargain £30,000 prior to the start of the season. He had a great first season with people comparing him with past stars such as Ernie Taylor and George Eastham.

Tony Green (25) [29-2]

Harvey tried to sign him during the summer, but he had to wait until October to get his man. He made an instant impact, was named man of the match in nearly every match he played and was voted Player of the Year by the supporters.

Tommy Gibb (26) [27/3-l]

Continued his remarkable run of consecutive games until being relegated to the subs bench for the away match at Arsenal. Once again, he received more abuse than anyone else and during the home match with Manchester United it was alleged in some papers that he gave the old "v" sign (as he had done against Stoke in the previous season). Gibb claimed that this was not true; he said he was standing on the touchline when the ball was dead and after receiving some more abuse he was simply "waving my hands in the air in frustration". However, Westwood and Harvey decided he had to go and he was transfer listed. A disappointed Harvey stated "people have said in the past that when Tommy Gibb plays well Newcastle play well. This is true but it is best for Tommy Gibb that he leaves now". Gibb himself accepted that his relationship with some of the Gallowgate crowd was "beyond repair" and that "things are not going to get any better here, that's obvious so if I get the right offer I will consider it". A move to Southampton breaks down because the club refuse to pay him a loyalty bonus. They state that "they only pay loyalty bonuses for exceptional club service of ten years or more. Gibb is only in his fourth year and his demands will not be met". He was restored to the team after the Hereford defeat.

lrving Nattrass (20) [24/4-1]

Had a five-month run in the side in which he was usually utilised as a defensive midfielder. Everybody was impressed with his mature performances and Burkinshaw was delighted that despite his quietness he was asserting himself on the pitch. Hibbitt said it was the simplicity of his game that stood out: "he gets it and shoves it around quickly".

David Young (26) [8/1-0]

As in the previous campaign central defender Young found himself operating in midfield. Started the first five games of the season but was used sparingly after that.

Jim Smith (23) [1/3-1]

A horrendous season for Smith during which he seriously though about leaving the club he felt as if he "jinxed" at. Had an operation on his right knee for a serious knee cartilage injury during the summer and he had to wait until October to make his first start. Unfortunately, within half an hour of his comeback at Arsenal he damaged the cartilage in his left knee. Whilst recovering he also suffered two strained muscles and only returned to make a cameo performance during March.

Chris Guthrie (18) [3-0]

Younger brother of Ron, centre-forward Chris made 2 of his 3 appearances in midfield. United lost all the games he appeared in and he was one of four players who played their first and last first team match for the club during the season.

Gordon Hodgson (19) [1-0]

Made his debut on the left of midfield in the 1-0 defeat at Nottingham Forest in April. It was reported that he showed some nice touches but lacked the pace and aggression to impose himself on the game.


Malcolm MacDonald (21) [46-26]

Cost a record £180,000 from Fulham and vowed to score thirty goals. Because he scored a hat-trick on his home debut many people believe he made an immediate impact but in reality, he struggled at the beginning and Burkinshaw admitted he had "a lot to learn". However once Green had arrived Macdonald started to hit the net more regularly and almost reached his target. Despite this Burkinshaw wanted him to contribute more to the overall team play, but he was having none of it; "they're trying to change me from a goal scorer to a footballer. I think it's wrong because it's impossible for me to be both". Macdonald argued that he needed to conserve his energy to allow him to make the fifty/sixty-yard bursts that got him into goalscoring positions. Macdonald played for England U23 and won his first full England caps during the Home International Championships.

John Tudor (25) [41/1-9]

The nascent partnership with supermac had early problems and although was working hard Tudor had only scored twice by the end of 1971. The crowd got on his back at times and Harvey made it clear he was in the market for another striker. He lost his place to loanee Viv Busby during December and admitted "I know I’m under pressure. If the club sign Viv, he'll be first choice, if they don't they will go after someone else". But he also said "I am convinced that I can still establish myself as a goal scorer" and also said the ill health of his wife had been bothering him. He reclaimed the Number 10 shirt when Busby returned to Luton and gradually improved during the second half of the season. At the end of the campaign he was put his struggles down to trying too hard to be unselfish during games and a general over anxiety to do well.

Stewart Barrowclough (19) [27/2-2]

The departure of Keith Dyson meant he established himself on the right wing adding-as Harvey stated "a little bite to the number 7 shirt". At one point (when he was not in the first eleven) he was on the verge of submitting a transfer request but decided against it. Harvey was certainly impressed saying that last season he was like a young colt (all legs and no strength) but he had now matured into an exciting prospect. He went on to praise his speed and ball control and his vicious shot for someone with such a light frame.

Keith Dyson (20) [6/1-1]

in the close season Harvey talked of Dyson as being an integral part of a three-pronged attack but he only made a handful of appearances before being sold to Blackpool in October as a makeweight in the deal that brought Tony Green to Newcastle.

Tommy Cassidy (19) [6/4-3]

Despite being a Northern Ireland squad member was rarely called upon, joe Harvey was convinced he would make it 'but only if we can get some weight off him. He drinks a lot of lemonade so we'll have to try and dry him out'.

Gordon Hindson (21) [2-0]

Had a couple of outings before moving to Luton in October.

Alex Reid (24) [12/7-0]

Arrived in October 1971 in exchange for Ian Mitchell and made a number of appearances.

Viv Busby (22) [5-2]

was Supermac's former strike partner at Luton and was signed on a three-month loan. He scored on his first two appearances but was hit by flu and although he returned the Hereford disaster was his last game for the club and he returned to Luton.

1970s Squads