Menu Players Managers Fans Seasons Miscellany

NUFC 1969/70-Squad

All images are copyright Piotr Jozefowicz
P Arentoft: 27/5-0
A Burton: 35/2-0
F Clark: 40-0
J Cowan: 3/1-0
J Craggs: 16-0
D Craig: 33-1
W Davies: 50-11
A Duffy: 1/2-0
K Dyson: 26/1-12
D Elliott: 6/2-1
A Foggon: 27/2-5
D Ford: 13/1-1
T Gibb: 52-1
R Guthrie: 17/2-1
G Hindson: 1-0
I McFaul: 52-0
J McNamee: 17/1-1
B Moncur: 50- 0
B Robson: 52-25
J Scott: 15/3-2
J Sinclair: 6-0
J Smith: 26/1-1
J Thomson: 4/1-0
D Young: 3/1-0


Iam McFaul [52-0]

was an ever present during the season which was just as well as United were severely lacking in goalkeeping cover after reserve 'keeper John Hope was injured. He had excelled at times in 1968/69 but added consistency and better handling to his repertoire and improved immensely.

Full Backs

Frank Clark [40-0]

As with the rest of the defence was in great form during the season. He was injured at the beginning of March and an attempt at a comeback in the home game against Anderlecht ended in him having to be substituted. Had a cartilage operation thereby missing the final run-in.

David Craig [33-l]

Pulled a hamstring in the first game of the season and was out until October, but the classy Irishman was once again a crucial cog in United's superb rearguard.

Ron Guthrie [17/2-1]

Had more opportunities than usual as Clark's deputy and he also played as a defensive midfielder in some games. Charlton made an offer for him in October, but Harvey deemed it nowhere near enough.

John Craggs [16-0]

Craig's injury in the first game gave him the opportunity for an extended run in the side. He was in excellent form and believed for the first time that he was playing well enough to retain his place even when Craig was fit. However Craig was recalled and many doubted whether he would settle for reserve team football for much longer.

Centre Backs

Bob Moncur [50-0]

Was in inspirational form at the centre of United's much admired defence and it was arguably his best season at the club. He even took over in goal in the home game against Man United when McFaul was concussed.

Ollie Burton's [35/2-0]

Partnered Moncur for most of the season and maintained a high level of consistency. A groin strain sustained in the home match against Leeds kept him out for a while but he returned to the side in March.

John McNamee [17/1-1]

Had to play second-fiddle to Burton who had established himself as Moncur's preferred partner. Had a good run in the side at the start of 1970 after Ollie picked up an injury.


Tommy Gibb [52-1]

Continued his run of consecutive games since his debut at the start of the previous campaign. He wasn't the assertive, driving force of his first season on Tyneside and only found the net once.

Preben Arentoft [27/5-0]

Many thought that Smith's arrival would see squeezed out but he responded magnificently and produced consistently good performances which kept him in the side. Lost his place towards the end of the season and turned down a move to Portsmouth at the end of the campaign. Harvey stressed that he was welcome to stay and take up the two-year option on his contract and said "I can always use him here-he can always do a job for us“.

Jimmy Smith [26/1 -1]

United's record signing was originally left out of the side (although he pulled in thousands for the reserves) because Harvey felt he wasn't fit enough for Division 1. Harvey had called him a “genius" but he struggled to make an impact. Occasionally he demonstrated the brilliance he was capable of but too often his performances were lacklustre and he was continuously caught in possession. Early in the season there were rumours he might be sold to Celtic but nothing came of it.

Dave Elliott [6/2-1]

With Gibb having firmly established himself in the defensive lynchpin role opportunities in the first team were severely limited.

Jimmy Thompson [4/1-0]

After some starring performances in the "stiffs" he made his debut in the 1-0 win at Burnley in October. He was unfortunate to score an own goal and then get injured in the home match with Spurs and that proved to be his last senior game for the club.

Gordon Hindson [4-0]

Played in the 2-0 defeat at the Baseball Ground, but that proved to be his only first team outing.

David Young [3/1-0]

Finally made his debut (after 6 years at the club) in the draw at West Brom in March and he doubled his match total in the next game.

John Cowan [3/1-0]

Made his debut in the 1-0 victory at Burnley at the beginning of November and got three more run-outs during the campaign. He did enough to earn a surprise call-up for the Home Internationals.


Bryan Robson [52-25]

Was hampered by a niggling injury which affected his form at the beginning of the season, but he gradually returned to his best and once again finished as top scorer with 25 goals. He scored his first hat-trick in the home match with Man United and scored one of the best ever goals seen at Gallowgate with a 30-yard howitzer against Anderlecht. An ever-present for the second season running, Liverpool manager Bill Shankly said: "He's a great player and I would love to have him. He seems to spark everything the team does in attack". He had hopes of going to World Cup in Mexico but he wasn't even included in the provisional forty-man squad.

Wyn Davies [50-11]

Was as brave and intimidating as ever and when at the top of his game (such as when United played Dundee United away) he could still destroy an entire defence single- handedly. He wasn't at his best, but it was revealed at the end of the season that he had not been completely fit right through the campaign. Harvey was full of praise for the fact that he carried on and never requested a rest. As a result he had a minor operation and stayed at home to rest whilst the rest of the players went on the tour of Canada and America.

Alan Foggon [27/2-5]

Had an inconsistent season when he struggled to hit top form. Some of his best performances were as a midfield runner rather than his accustomed left flank patrol.

Keith Dyson [26/1-12]

He was out of the picture in the first couple of months but some excellent performances in the reserves combined with the departure of Scott and Sinclair gave him the chance to cement his place in the first team squad in the second half of the season. His form led to a deserved call-up to the England U23 squad.

Jim Scott [15/3-2]

Started the season as the first choice right flanker until he injured his ankle against Derby. He never really re-established himself and was sold to Crystal Palace in February for £20,000.

David Ford [13/1 -1]

After a serious car crash in which he was badly injured and his fiancee killed Ford had lost his place in the Sheffield Wednesday side. Scored once and had two assists on his debut.

Jackie Sinclair [6-0]

Despite helping United win the Fairs Cup he never really hit it off on Tyneside and Harvey let him move to Sheffield Wednesday in December in the exchange deal which brought David Ford to Tyneside.

Alan Duffy [1/2-0]

One start and a couple of subbings were all Duffy got before he was sold to Brighton in January for £8,000

1960s Squads