Menu Players Managers Fans Seasons Miscellany

NUFC 1958/59-Squad

All images are copyright Piotr Jozefowicz
I Allchurch: 27-16
J Bell: 24-1
A Bottom: 3-3
B Curry: 10-10
R Davies: 9-2
G Eastham: 36-7
R Evans: 4-0
B Ferguson: 1-0
A Franks: 30-2
J Gibson: 1-0
K Hale: 5-0
B Harvey: 32-0
G Hughes: 29-1
D Keith: 33-1
T Marshall: 2-0
J McGuigan: 22-5
B McKinney: 3-0
A McMichael: 40-0
B Mitchell: 16-0
S Mitchell: 11-0
J Mitten: 2-0
M Scott: 16-0
J Scoular: 33-0
B Stokoe: 23-0
H Taylor: 17-0
L White: 31-25
B Whitehead : 7-0
J Wilson: 1-0
B Wright: 5-3
KEY: [Appearances-Goals] [Age at 31/12/98] [Positions Played]


Stewart Mitchell [11] [25] [1]

With Simpson out injured Mitchell got the chance to stake his claim; however, with the goals flying in he was dropped. He got 3 more games at the start of December when Harvey was injured but lost his place again on when he returned. United were ready to offload him to Swansea as part of the deal to sign Mel Charles.

Brian Harvey [32] [20] [1]

Signed from amateur side Wisbech at the end of August and made his debut in the away win at Wolves. United's open style gave him plenty of opportunities to exhibit his talents and he generally impressed. Missed a couple of games through injury but played in every other game after his arrival.


Dick Keith [33-1] [25] [2]

Missed some games with an ankle injury. Keith was not happy when he lost out on the additional 3 first-team appearance money when on international duty.

Alf McMichael [40] [31] [3]

Bobby Whitehead [7] [22] [2]

Started the season as third-in line behind Keith and McKinney.

Bob McKinney [3] [22] [2]

Still turning out in games for the Army he deputised for Keith on a couple of occasions.

Bobby Ferguson [1] [20] [3]

Played in the defeat at Villa at the beginning of October when McMichael was injured.

Half Backs

Jimmy Scoular [33] [33] [4, 5]

Missed a few games because of a strained muscle in his thigh. His powers of recovery were catching up with him as he was often caught up field leaving the defence outnumbered. A number of teams tried to get him to become manager or player-manager but he wasn't ready to stop playing and the club seemed keen to keep him.

Albert Franks [30-2] [22] [4, 6, 8]

Deputised for Scoular on the right and then Bell on the left.

Bob Stokoe [23] [28] [5]

His form had improved on last season and he captained the side when Scoular was out injured. Injured his ankle during a PT session in January and missed the rest of the season.

Jackie Bell [24 -1] [19] [6]

Appointed the club's penalty taker after five different players had missed from the spot. Injured over Christmas he missed the second half of the season.

Malcolm Scott [16-0] [22] [5, 6, 3,11]

On National Service and stationed at Acklington he trained in the evenings at Gallowgate. Turned out for the RAF on their Wednesday afternoon games.


Len White [31-25] [28] [9,11, 8]

His excellent scoring form saw he called up for the Football League side and he scored a hat-trick in seven minutes against Ireland. Many expected him to be given a chance in the England side but he never got a call-up.

George Eastham [36-7] [22] [10, 8,11]

Missed a number of games early in the season when he badly wrenched knee ligaments.

Gordon Hughes [29 -1] [22] [7]

Firmly established as first-choice his speed and directness was an excellent counterpoint to the skill and craft of Eastham and Allchurch.

Ivor Allchurch [27 -16] [29] [8,10]

Signed from Swansea in mid-October

John McGuigan [22-5] [26] [11,10]

Arrived during the summer in a swap deal with Bill Punton. Made a good start but required an operation on a groin cyst and when he returned he struggled to find his form and was rested. Returned to the side after a few weeks but then tore the ligaments on both sides of his ankle in the match against Villa in February; almost certainly not helped by the fact that having being carried off he returned to the game.

Harry Taylor [17-4] [23] [7,11]

Taylor last appeared in the first-team in October 1956. Injuries to both outside players (Hughes and McGuigan) gave him a good run in the side during the final months of the season.

Bobby Mitchell [16] [34] [6,11]

Now a veteran Mitchell found it difficult to get a run in the side and was eventually transfer-listed in January. A number of clubs tried to sign him and he almost joined Notts County on more than one occasion. Mitten used him as a left-half later in the season.

Bill Curry [10 -10] [23] [9,10]

Rarely featured at first but got eight games at the end of the season after fine form in the reserves and finished with a goal a game average. Represented the Army against the Football League. Finished National Service in October and resumed full-time training.

Reg Davies [9-2] [29] [10, 8]

After missing the first couple of games he played in the next nine before he reluctantly moved to his home town club Swansea as part of the deal which brought Allchurch to Tyneside (not all of the directors agreeing with the decision to let him go). Many thought that the team missed his quick through balls.

Billy Wright [5-3] [ ] [9,11,10]

Signed from Leicester during the summer, but after appearing five times in the first few weeks he didn't play again. He needed a cartilage operation.

Ken Hale [5] [19] [8,10]

Deputised at inside-forward on a couple of occasions.

Reg Evans [4] [19]

Made his debut at Wolves in September and played very well; but with so many outside-lefts on the books he struggled to get game time and asked for (and was granted) a transfer. Eventually moved to Charlton in March in exchange for Jimmy Ryan.

Arthur Bottom [3-3] [8] [28]

Kept up his goal scoring form from last season, but was even struggling to get a regular place in the reserves. He requested a transfer and moved to Chesterfield.

Terry Marshall [2] [9] [23]

Signed from Wisbech at the end of year (against strong competition from a number of clubs) but had to wait until March to make his debut in the 3-0 defeat at West Ham and only played once more.

John Mitten [2] [11] [17]

The manager's son was still an amateur and he turned out for Whitley Bay as well as Newcastle "N"s and reserves. He also got a couple of run-outs in the first-team. Featured in an England Youth match in January.

Jimmy Gibson [1] [18] [9]

Signed from Linfield (on Jackie Milburn's recommendation) during January; he scored 12 goals in his first 3 games for the youth team. He made his debut (and only appearance) in the home victory over West Ham at the end of March.

Carl Wilson [1] [18] [9]

Made his debut in the 3-0 defeat at Blackpool in the second match of the season but made no further appearances.

1950s Squads